Started Dec 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ashanti34
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
A Sony NEX prime lens lament
Dec 21, 2011

I’ve been waiting for mirrorless system cameras for years. I couldn’t articulate it but I didn’t like the idea of carrying around a massive SLR just to get good tourist and family shots. The publicity around the Olympus Pen turned my head in September of last year. I thought, at last, a camera that meets my needs. I bought a E-PL1 quickly, I loved it but the AF was too so slow to work with kids and the LED screen so low quality that I couldn’t be sure I was getting the shots I wanted. Don’t forget I’m a beginner so I could only tell the shot quality from the LED screen.

Then a friend showed me the Sony NEX. I was blown away and quickly changed camera. I loved the bigger sensor for low-light conditions and the small body. As I got better at using it I came to dislike the kit lens, especially in low light conditions and the size of the lens made pocketing the camera an impossibility. I thought, ok, let’s wait for a better pancake from Sony. Then a few months ago they brought one out at $1000, the Carl Zeiss, I think the Sony people are mad. If this was $300 I would buy one for me and recommend the combination to everyone I know. I was so mad I started looking at picking up a E-P1 Olympus PEN on ebay, I now want the thumb dials, in-body stabilisation in my compact system camera for the manual lenses I am now forced to use by the crazy prices of Sony prime pancake lenses. However, I hesitate, the sensor is so much smaller and the in-body stabilisation doesn’t really compensate and high ISO performance is limited for low-light photography. I think pics are so much better without a flash !

Please Sony, produce a sensibly priced pancake prime for the NEX with a decent focus length or please someone make a compact system camera with an APS-C sensor, in-body stabilisation, thumb dials and a decent lens selection ! Maybe someone will do an NEX-7 style camera with all of these features or Olympus will make an NEX-7 style camera next…

Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow