ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ron Co
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?
Macro lens choice,Sony,Tamron or?
Dec 21, 2011

Hi

sorry to beat a common question to death but I am seeking opinions of folks who have owned different lens for macro work

Some time ago I owned a Tamron 90mm for Pentax K10 , gave both away some time ago and have since gone all Sony DSLR

I was wondering if there is any rumor of new Sony macro lenses in the pipeline , the existing units 50mm and 100mm I gather are legacy lenses from Minolta and while good may not be the best for current cameras ,e.g the screw drive for focusing is still used from what I read, so it will not be as silent, quick or smooth as more recent designs

I prefer to stick to Sony lenses with my camera but, as my little Samyang 8mm showed other brands can work well too

I was not that excited by the Tamron on my Pentax, not sure why but i rarely used it often calling on my Sony R1 at the time for close up work (not macro)

The reviews I read of the two mentioned Sony macros suggest they are good , not brilliant and over priced compared to Tamron,Sigma (any others?)

The price is not my concern though it is the desire to get a really good lens for the task,I want it for Alenka (my wife) and I like her to have something that will do the job as easily and well as possible , I use the 70-400G for a lot of close work but she finds that overwhelming in use

Are there alternative , good lenses anyone has discovered that you would recommend above the Sony 100 and Tamron 90 or do folks with macro experience have positive or negative feeling towards any of the macro lenses on offer .

I am thinking of the Sony 100mm (compatible with full frame if the A99 is irresistible) or a similar length or longer lens , I like a lens that allows space between camera and subject for lighting and comfort in use, a lot of our wildflowers are very tiny and close to the ground

This is an example of the small flowers she is trying to capture ( a sundew , insect eating plant only about 4 mm wide , section from an HX100V photo) To get it she had to get right down on the ground and get within a cm or tow of the subject

The major problems with the current HX100V are related to lack of control, aperture, focus point being the two major ones

advise, suggestions welcome , practical tips , rumoured new lenses? Anything folks , no rush , this is not a Christmas thing we will not be buying before the New Year

regards from Tasmania
Ron
--
http://www.redbubble.com/people/AlenkaCo2
also
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron-alenka/

Ron Co

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow