e-pl3 and lowlight focus

Started Dec 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
SammyToronto
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: e-pl3 and lowlight focus
In reply to YeoHoon Bae, Dec 21, 2011

YeoHoon Bae wrote:

Why not consider getting 20mm f1.7? My E-PL3 + 20mm focuses fine indoor even when it is quite dark.

I second this suggestion. I had similar focusing problems with my e-pm1; it focuses great in day light, and not so great indoors, unless there's a strong contrast and enough light, from a distance at least. I do manage to focus on almost anything (except a CRT TV screen, weirdly enough!) even in pitch darkness, but I need to be close enough for the focus assist light to be effective and to have patience. I agree with the comment that the camera's focusing performance is no better than a good point and shoot in low light.

However, I did buy the Panasonic 20mm, and my low light focusing problem are fixed. While it may be slower than the 14-42 kit lens in day light, it's definitely more reliable (though not really faster) in low light. I decided to keep the camera and use the 20mm for shooting photos and the kit lens for shooting video (the 20mm lens focus noise is too distracting in videos, while the kit lens is whisper quiet).

SammyToronto's gear list:SammyToronto's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow