Why use cameras?

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
Solarcoaster
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Why use cameras?
In reply to tkbslc, Dec 20, 2011

tkbslc wrote:

Yes I can comprehend what I read, you said artistic talent, not creativity the first time. Regardless, it takes far greater talent and skill to make near perfect recreation of a scene with paint than it does with a photo, which is why many painters start with a photo. The photo is the easy part.

Photography is much easier than painting, because it requires much, much less technical skill, especially digital photography. Even if you consider post processing, it's still much easier technically than painting. A beginner with a little practice can take much better photos than they can paintings. However, the artistic talent required to be a great photographer versus a great painter is much closer. It involves having a vision of the final image planned out ahead of time, which many people struggle to do. I consider creativity to be a component of artistic talent, the two are close enough to be used interchangeably.

Solarcoaster wrote:

Um...reading comprehension? I said it takes no artistic talent to paint an exact copy of an existing photograph, which is what I suspect this artist has done. That doesn't mean he lacks artistic talent, only that he didn't have to use it during the painting process. It does obviously require extraordinary technical skill, but that is distinct from artistic creativity.

tkbslc wrote:

Solarcoaster wrote:

but no more artistic talent than a photographer would need to take those photographs.

Did you actually say (write) that? Oil painting requires no more talent that pushing a button on a camera?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow