Started Dec 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ced38
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
need opinion from E-5 and EP(L)-3 owners
Dec 20, 2011

Many posts here still mention the E-5 as the best Olympus DSLR.

What I do not understand is that most of the comments on the forum still give and edge in image resolution and retention of information at high ISO to the E-5 compared to the EP(L)-3. If I go to the EP(L)-3 in depth review here on DPreview and look side by side at the high ISO performance (higher than 800 ISO) of the E-5 and Vs the EP-3, the EP-3 is clearly a winner to me. Much more detail retention and almost no noise showing up until ISO 1600 whereas the E-5 shows already noise around ISO 400-800 and it is really clear when you look at the sample with the image of the woman seen from the side (in the noise and noise reduction section of the review) that a lot of the details are lost when you switch from ISO 400 to ISO 800. So my question is the following, do you think DPreview made a mistake while acquiring the images with the E-5 or it resulted from using a 1.0 version of the camera or is it that the camera gives completely different outputs when you use it in a studio compared to outdoors ???

It is just weird to me that the image test show that details are lost much more rapidly and noise showing up also more rapidly with the E-5 but everybody that uses it say that it is better than an EP(L)-3 in that regard (I'm not talking about other parameters like ergonomy, faster AF etc ...)

Thanks for your answers

-- hide signature --

ced38

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow