7D or 60D and immediate accessories for either one

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
rsalles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D or 60D and immediate accessories for either one
In reply to franklin11, Dec 19, 2011

franklin11 wrote:

I am wobbling back and forth about which camera body to purchase. I think with either body I will get the kit lens, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens and this one, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens.

Hi Franklin,

A camera body gets "obsolete" in about 3-4 years, lenses last a lot longer. So get the cheaper body, 60D or T3i, and a good lens. Try to get a new good lens every year.

I'm trying to be open-minded and consider the Nikon D7000 but it seems I have a Canon chip implanted in my brain.

Nikon also has very good cameras and lenses. If i were you, i would choose the same brand my friends have, so we could exchange lenses sometimes.

Between the 60D and the 7D, it seems to point to the 7D because it is faster and has more AF points.

Look again and see what lenses these 7D were using. A good body will do nothing for you if you don´t have the right lens. A T3i can give you the same IQ as a 7D or 60D.

I've also read the suggestions to save money on the body and use that money toward lenses. It will probably be a few years before I can invest in a camera body again. If I go for the 60D, in a few months or a year from now when I know better how to use a DSLR, am I going to regret not getting the 7D?

IHMO a 60D is good enough.

Regardless of which body I purchase, are there other accessories I should purchase immediately such as filters? I have memory cards and a backpack on the list. I already own a tripod.

Some people buy only canon lenses, but i have nothing agaisnt tamron, sigma or tokina lenses, some of them are very good and usually cheaper than canon. For family try the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (the non VC is sharper); the sigma 17-50mm OS f/2.8; or the canon 17-55mm IS f/2.8.

For wild life you need the longer focal lenght you can get, try the sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OS; the canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS; the canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS; or the canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (non L - which is a lot cheaper).

If you can have only one lens and need to get wide and tele try the Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD or the canon 18-200mm.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards and good luck.
Renato

..................................(Maragogipe, a fisher´s village at Bahia, Brazil)..................................

rsalles's gear list:rsalles's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow