Do I need UHS-1 card for GX1?

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
Keith Lommel
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I need UHS-1 card for GX1?
In reply to goshigoo, Dec 19, 2011

Any class 10 card will work fine. Heck, even class 6 or class 4 cards should be okay, unless you're taking lots of rapid-fire bursts of RAW+JPG. I've got a class 4 16GB card that I've used a few times on my GH2 with no problems, even for the highest quality video (on stock firmware).

The only time I could see a need for the the newest, fastest 95MB/s UHS-1 cards (like Sandisk Extreme Pro) is if you want to experiment with some of the ultra-high bitrate video options (like 176Mbps) that people doing with hacked firmware. But the GX1 has just been released, so I wouldn't expect its firmware to get hacked any time soon, and by the time it does (maybe a year from now), hopefully the cost of such cards will have come down significantly.

Until then, I'd say anything beyond regular class 10 cards is probably overkill.

-- hide signature --

Keith

Keith Lommel's gear list:Keith Lommel's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow