Canon 15-85mm not available...17-55mm f/2.8?

Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kabalyero
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Canon 15-85mm not available...17-55mm f/2.8?
Dec 19, 2011

Hello everyone...

This is my first EVER post in dpreview and was hoping to get your thoughts/opinion on a bit of a dilemma that I have.

After researching for 3 months, I made up my mind to get the 15-85mm lens from Canon as my walk around lens. Considering its optical quality versus that of the 17-55mm, I thought it would be of a better use for me as I generally take pictures of landscapes and cityscapes and wanted to have a very flexible focal length range in one lens to avoid having to change so many times. I though I can just put in my 50mm f/1.8 in case I want to take pictures of people. This plus the fact that the 17-55mm was about $350 more expensive that the 15-85mm was in my home country completed the justification and decision that I made.

Unfortunately, after going to all the major stores here, none of them had a copy of the lens...unless they take it out from the 7D's kit (which they are offering to do so at the same price as that of a lens from the box). The main problem with this is that, just in case I sell off the lens in the future, I am thinking that its resale value will be affected by the mentioned arrangement. Also, I found a store that has the 17-55mm priced at around $150 more than that of the 15-85mm which makes either choice an economic one for me. Any thoughts/advice?

I know that there has been a lot of discussions in the past about these two lenses...my apologies for adding some more trouble with the topic...

Kabalyero's gear list:Kabalyero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow