Started Dec 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
franklin11
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
7D or 60D and immediate accessories for either one
Dec 19, 2011

I'm another one of those people about to purchase their first DSLR. A few years ago I bought a Canon Powershot S5 IS so I could learn to take pictures manually but have auto as a backup. I've taken some photography classes and plan to take more. I'm ready now for a DSLR.

I am mostly interested in wildlife photos but I also take pictures of family events and such. I also like taking pictures of flowers but a macro lens will be a later purchase.

I am wobbling back and forth about which camera body to purchase. I think with either body I will get the kit lens, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens and this one, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens.

I've read so many good things about the 60D and I thought I was all settled on it until a few days ago when a friend, a member of the Nikon camp, told me that a guy in a photo shop suggested I go with the 7D or the Nikon D7000 rather than the 60D. I'm trying to be open-minded and consider the Nikon D7000 but it seems I have a Canon chip implanted in my brain.

I've read a few people say that the 7D would be too much for a person like me and I should go for the 60D. I went back and researched again wildlife photography and the 7D. Between the 60D and the 7D, it seems to point to the 7D because it is faster and has more AF points.

I've also read the suggestions to save money on the body and use that money toward lenses. It will probably be a few years before I can invest in a camera body again. If I go for the 60D, in a few months or a year from now when I know better how to use a DSLR, am I going to regret not getting the 7D?

I'm on a budget so the 60D would be better for that but if I'm going to have regrets, I'm willing to wait a little while before the purchase or stretch the budget if I see a good deal on the 7D.

Regardless of which body I purchase, are there other accessories I should purchase immediately such as filters? I have memory cards and a backpack on the list. I already own a tripod.

Thanks for your advice.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot S5 IS Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow