Have you given up your DSLR for the G12/S95/S100?

Started Dec 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitallollygag
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Have you given up your DSLR for the G12/S95/S100?
Dec 18, 2011

I could've posted this as a more generic discussion on the Open Talk forum, but I wanted to know what the Canon owners are thinking. I am a Nikon guy, NOT a Nikon fanboy (otherwise I would've praised the mediocre Nikon 1 system).

Santa Claus has blessed us with a new Canon S95 for Christmas (my wife doesn't know it yet). I looked at the offerings from Sony and Panasonic in the point & shoots before deciding on the S95, but what it all finally came down to was "pocketability".

I have already decided if this cameras meets or exceeds my expectations in terms of image quality I might soon spring for the S100, or for more zoom range, the SX230HS. I don't shoot sports or dim nightclubs/concerts, so I am not looking for "pristine" image quality. My images tend to be of people, some scenics, and a lot of static subjects. What I want is something that fits in my pocket and doesn't attract the attention of cops and security guards like my D80 and 80-200mm f/2.8 does. Geez, I don't even look like a suspicious person. I've actually entertained the thought of completely unloading my Nikon DSLR system if I own two compacts I'm happy with. I'd likely keep the Olympus E410 and kit lens since it is small and a joy to carry around for part of a day compared to the Nikon. (Is ANY DSLR a joy to carry ALL day?)

What started this thought process was a 900-mile move we made earlier in the year. I saw all the crap we'd loaded on the moving truck and realized we were blessed beyond measure. In fact, we had too much stuff to fit in the the truck! All of the sudden I realized all the things we'd accumulated in life were a bit of a burden, as I had to pack the car fuller to make up for the overstuffed moving van. Since then, my mind has been more preoccupied with "less is more".

This got me to thinking: could I be happy with a point & shoot or mirrorless camera as my main (or even sole) camera? I'd no longer suffer neck aches from carrying a DSLR and monster lens. I think back to all the missed photo opportunities because I did not want to carry a DSLR with me, even the little Oly E410. I also imagine a simpler life not lugging a bunch of lenses around or always changing lenses, missing even more shots doing so.

My question is, how many of you have given up your DSLR system COMPLETELY for a compact? Are you glad you did, or is there a sense of regret? And, how many of you would do it if Canon came up with a mirrorless system that really blew you away?

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D100 Olympus E-410 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +15 more
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow