Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma's next camera will of course
In reply to richard stone, Dec 18, 2011

richard stone wrote:

You miss my point.

OK - lets see

The SD1 was meant to show the best that Sigma could do for a "pro" system camera, and it works, in terms of what is coming from the sensor. The images from Olga and a few others give an idea of what the sensor is capable of, but after that initial step the rest of the system lets it down.

Hmmmmm ... thats not what Sigma says. Maybe you are right. But then Sigma should give some other signals. And then they should already have had an SD15 upgrade. Sigma says that SD15 is as good as that line gets and that SD1 is an MF competitor. I have not heard anything else after the release of SD1. There was some hints earlier about several sensors. But ... nothing today.

Sigma lenses are fine, but how many lenses on the planet are good enough for that sensor?

I think its rather easy to make a lens for that sensor. Not extreme wide angles of course - they are always to soft in the corners. But some "normal" lenses. A 35 or 50 mm lens F2.8 would do.

The burden placed on MF lenses is not as great. Similarly, no one expects an MF system to have the number of good lenses as provided for a APS or 35mm size system.

Exactly!! Thats the reason for MF - thatr you more easy can make optics.

Maybe Sigma thought the SD1 would be good enough to have people use it instead of MF? As you say, people who want MF are not going to use an APS -C sensor, but what about people moving up who do not ever intend to buy a Digital MF camera?

Those moving up and dont intend buying an MF camera will only pay $1500 and for an SA mount camera $750.

Asking for what we might consider a sensible and well thought-out plan from Sigma seems like asking for too much,

Yepp, seems so. They seems to live in a fantasy world regarding cameras. Surprising, as they are so down to eartyh regarding lenses.

although they did well with the DP cameras, as a way to show what the company and the sensor could do.

It was a partial success. But - the cameras had some very irritating problems. Color shifts, slowness and red grids. And as far as I understand, the DPNx cameras (with AFE) has some problems with banding.

Although we might question the wisdom of what Sigma is doing with the SD1, they manage to stay in business, despite not following all the well-intended advice from so many helpful people.

They dont stay in camera business at all. Its subsidised by the incomes from lenses. It looks like a hobby. And a hobby you maintain as long as it is fun and you can afford it.

My proposal for an 8-10 MP sensor is for the same APS size sensor, and I do not see any reason for Sigma to try to plant its flag in MF territory.

I think its wiser to reuse the 15 MP sensor instead. Its more economic and leads to better result.

As for costing a lot of money to develop a sensor: EVERYTHING costs money, including failure. Sigma has to have some progression up from the SD15, and that means something more than 6MP.

I might be wrong - but people knowing better than me says that the 15 MP sensor should only cost some few hundreds of dollars to make, and the minimum quantity of chips is in the order of 10000. That makes it more economic to reuse the SD1 se4nsors than making a lesser sensor.

I don't think you understand what you are seeing with the SD1. Fewer, larger pixels would almost certainly result in cheaper production costs and a cleaner image, considering the big issue with the Foveon system is pixel size and light gathering.

Thats a myth. The myth that fewer pixels results in better images. It do so, but only if the sensor with more pixels have crossed the limit where you start to get problems. I would be surprised if SD1 has done so. For ordinary detectors (as used in CFA sensors) this size is in the order of one um and half a um for back lit sensors. It would be a great surprise if that limit was more than 5 um for Foveon. If so - then Foveon will certainly lose the competition.

SPP works just fine, for what it was designed to do. Sigma went astray when it went to excessive and uncontrolled NR (apparently) and other "make it smoother" factors in SPP 5. There is a seeming attempt to get the results in low light to match up with the Bayer sensor cameras at high ISO. Well, that's fine, but it needs to be something people can turn off at low ISO.

Many dont agree with you.

Until I see you shooting with an SD camera I will not believe you understand why people like the Foveon sensor, just as I wonder about people who want "features" that are not present on the Sigma cameras.

I have a quite good imagination

How about the next Sigma with a smile recognition feature?

Smile recognition is not all that bad really. I saw a demonstration on a photo equipment fair. It was a pretty girl there that showed me a quite amazing feature. She was taking a rather fast sequence of photos of a person (me) with obscuring stuff moving in front of the subject. All images were taken when the faces was fully visible. Quite amazing. And quite useful in some situations.

But - I dont assume Sigma will add such stuff.

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow