Sigma's next camera will be ???

Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,519Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma's next camera will of course
In reply to richard stone, Dec 18, 2011

richard stone wrote:

Personally, I think the SD1 was a camera they had to make, but they screwed up on the details and the price. The issue is not just "resolution" as a figure, but the image as a whole. The SD1 works on that basis, although still the price is high.

I am not sure about that. Might be so. But why the strange press release and the talk about MF then? So ... no ... I still think there was a (probably late) decision to compete on the MF market. There you can have higher prices and sell fewer cameras and still be in business. MF systems also have fewer lenses, which would fit better with Sigma lenses.

Now, of course. Thats probably a faulty decision. People buying MF are not interested in an APS-C DSLR. And the Sigma lenses are not good enough.

No need to get too discouraged about Sigma, because I don't see them going out of business anytime soon, and they seem to want to be in the camera business.

Yeah ... but its unsure in what part of the camera market they want to be. A real MF camera with a Foveon sensor would be dynamite (as you say ). An APS-C camera that pretends to be MF is doubtful. An 10 MP or 15 MP DSLR with reasonable price? Hmmmm ... maybe ... maybe not. The future is very unclear. Would be nice if Sigma gave some signs on what we are waiting for this time.

So the next one: how about an 8-10 (x3) MP, which should be dynamite with the better lenses, and a somewhat improved SPP, with complete user controls for NR and no pixel smearing to provide per pixel sharpness, when desired.

I doubt that making an 8-10 MP sensor is wise. It costs lots of money to develop sensor and they already have one 15 MP sensor to use. It feels wrong to spend lots of money to make a lesser sensor when they dont sell the better one.

Now, of course, you have a point. If the Sigma/Foveon cameras are attractive to people the want certain pixel behaviour, then lesser pixels might be a good idea. But ... I dont think that will result in better pictures, just better pixels.

SPP needs to have a "do everything for the user" mode, and a "make the user decide everything" mode.

SPP needs to be remade. I think Sigma should pay SilkyPix to make it.

With my older version of SPP I tend to use auto and then go slightly more in the directions indicated.

OK

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow