Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fastprime
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Focal Distance and DX vs FX
Dec 17, 2011

I've been admiring the work of Lee Jeffries and noticed that many of his very tight portraits are shot with a 24mm lens (others at 85mm) on a Canon 5D. I set up a 16mm lens on my Nikon D7000 and using a test subject "filled the frame" with a tight head shot. The 16mm focal length should be roughly equivalent to the 24mm on a FX body.

I was surprised at just how close the lens was to my subject, less than 12 inches from lens to face to get the tight head shot that Lee gets.

I assume that the focal plane to subject distance would be the same for a 24mm on a FX body. Am I wrong?

I'm just very surprised that the camera is that close to the subject at that focal length. Is that typical?

I know that the shots could be cropped too. It's just seems to be a strange focal length for such tight portraits. Wouldn't it be easier to achieve with say a 85mm equivalent lens from a greater distance?

Can anyone with portrait experience comment on this?

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow