Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RDoc
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Excel for printer profiling
Dec 17, 2011

I've been trying to get really good profiles for my 3880 using Ink Jet Fly ink and Red River papers with a Spyder3Print profile system with mixed success. The results were good but not excellent.

To get better profiles I've started using the 729 target sheets and reading them twice into separate data files. Then I export the data in Lab format and import them into Excel. This allows me to compare each color patch from the two readings to see if they match within 1 delta E.

Typically if I'm careful in the reading, almost all do match, but about 10 or so are 1-2 off and a few are way off. I wrote a few simple spreadsheet formulas to keep track of what sheet, row and column each measurement is from so I can then go back and remeasure just those cells. I first make a copy of one of the data files, rename it, then open that in the Spyder3Print system and just remeasure the non-conforming ones and export that modified data file.

By reimporting it into Excel and comparing all 3 to each other I can get all the measurements quite consistent. The theory being that it's very unlikely that I'll measure the same cell twice in the same erroneous way so if two readings match, it's probably good.

It just struck me that it might be slightly better to actually copy both files and remeasure the inconsistent patches in both, then compare them and, assuming everything was within spec, average them. Not having tried this I don't know if it would help significantly, but it might.

The results have been very encouraging, the prints are significantly better to my eye and it's not a lot more work at all once you get comfortable with strip scanning the targets.

BTW I find the strip scanning assist POS plastic thing to be worse than useless.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow