Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeroenW
Contributing MemberPosts: 668
Like?
Tamron 17-50VC owners please comment!
Dec 17, 2011

I've been thinking about getting a new standardlens for my 60d. I would love to buy the canon 17-55 but I just refuse to pay that amount of money for a plastic lens without weather-sealing (don't try to change my mind on this because I just won't).

The two options I'm considering at this point are the tamron 17-50 VC and the sigma 17-50 OS HSM. The sigma sounds like a great lens for the price but I would obviously love to save 200,- euro on the Tamron (it's price dropped to 370,- recently).

I've been reading a lot of reviews about the tamron being soft in the corners and optically inferior compared to it's non-vc predecessor. I've also been reading a lot of positive user reviews and theories about the latest models being a lot better then the first who where released. If these rumours are not true...stopping down seems to result in very sharp pictures and for wide open shots there is sweet-spot in the frame centre which will matter to me most.

My biggest worry about this lens is the AF. It doesn't really matter to me that it's noisier compared to HSM/USM solutions offered by other companies. I do think it's very important for a lens like this to have accurate AF. One thing I really missed from my old non-vc tammy....

I would love to have some opinions about the optical performance and AF-performance from owners/users. I also wouldn't mind seeing some extra pictures....

Thanks for the help!

Greetings,

Jeroen

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow