Started Dec 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,933Gear list
Like?
Re: "Depth of field is insufficient"
In reply to Iliah Borg, Dec 17, 2011

Iliah Borg wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Having trouble achieving enough DoF must have been a film era problem.

Good one

It is a problem with understanding;

I agree with you on this part of your statement (for perhaps a different reason though). I can't imagine anyone returning a lens for lack of DoF but in 1997, here's Zeiss claiming it's happening.

In 1997, very few folks were shooting digital. The article was talking about film actually. But that's not really what I was getting at.

The article places blame on outmoded DoF scales. I have heard this many times over the years and maybe the idea originally came from this article. Not sure why this seems to be news or even a point for discussion of modern equipment other than to warn folks to not rely on the scales.

One of the greatest aspects of digital photography is the ability, virtually, to shoot an infinite number of images for free. It seems to me that if one knows the scales are off, shooting a few a hundred purposeful images at various apertures should give a reasonably observant person a good idea of what they need at given distances (not to mention other great and helpful features such as DoF preview and more recent developments such as Live View and chimping shots).

Even if you don't train yourself beforehand as suggested above, if one is in the field and shooting critical (and I am thinking of landscape photography here in particular), the photographer has the option of shooting, for free, as many versions of a given scene as he deems necessary in addition to bracketing. When I first picked up a DSLR, and for several years, I trained myself by shooting every scene with f5.6, f8, f11 & f16 until I became intimate with the response. If full stops aren't granular enough, one can always go down to 1/3 stop increments in order to nail DoF. No difference in doing this than someone on the sideline of a football game firing his cam like a machine gun.

I suppose it is my perception that folks shooting film would not necessarily want to shoot dozens of shots of one scene. That's all.

when printing large, cropping heavily, looking close, and generally having high resolution.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography not for sale, check my profile.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow