dell xps b+rgled lcd monitor gamut/calibration?

Started Jul 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,457
Like?
Re: dell xps b+rgled lcd monitor gamut/calibration?
In reply to elavoie, Dec 17, 2011

elavoie wrote:

I'm looking for a new computer and came across the Lenovo X220 with its IPS Wacom-enabled display. The pressure sensitive display seems like a great tool, but will I be able to get accurate prints from a pro photo lab considering it covers about 47% of the aRGB color gamut? At what point does wider color gamut become overkill for printing at a good lab? I like to get prints on a variety of surfaces like Kodak metallic paper.

I've read here and elsewhere of some labs now accepting images in the AdobeRGB space and do have a wide gamut printer on site but until recently most photo labs wanted you to deliver to them an image in the sRGB space. Most hobbyist photographers work in that space on monitors that cover about 100% of the sRGB gamut (about 74% AdobeRGB) and they get wonderful prints. So you don't need 100% coverage of the AdobeRGB space to get great prints.

Most online image hosting sites also want the uploaded image in the sRGB space - i.e. Smugmug, Zenfolio, Flickr, etc.

A few weeks ago, when I first saw the video on YouTube that claims to show that the X220 only covers 48% of AdobeRGB and 67% of the sRGB space, I thought this was referring to the X220 Thinkpad laptop. I'd be quite surprised that a laptop with a standard W-LED back light would only cover 67% of the sRGB space when the same LED's are used in stand alone monitors and cover 97% of the sRGB space.

So... I've concluded that the video must be referring to the tablet. If true, that tablet's gamut coverage is disappointing and I wouldn't buy one for anything more than basic editing, certainly not for anything demanding color accuracy.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow