ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,142Gear list
Like?
Test shot - ISO 6400 - Sony a900
Dec 17, 2011

Hello all,

Since the release of the Sony a77, we have seen almost ad infinitum test samples taken for this camera at ISO 6400. What I have seen thus far was not very convincing with the APS-C 24 MP.

Anyhow, I made an attempt to take a (boring) snapshot with my Sony a900 at ISO 6400 (setting for which I NEVER use). The shot I have attached was taken handheld with pretty poor light conditions (reality based on my eyes is not as bright as it is depicted in the photograph, thanks for the exposure compensation), steady shot was ON, shot RAW, then treated via ACR (with some noise reduction), and then converted via CS5 into jpg (SRGB) format. I have reduced the size to 2667 x 4000 pixels to make the size decent (but still large enough to look at how grainy the noise is).

I was wondering what you thought about the photo quality based on the poor light conditions (i.e., +1 exposure compensation, 1/13s).

Herein is the (boring ;)) photo I have just taken:

Based on what I have seen from the a77, I STILL think the 24 MP FF sensor outperforms the 24 MP APS-C sensor for HIGH ISO (even though it is clear that the Sony is not that great compared to the Nikon D3x, but that's a different story).

(PS: Is there anyway you can look at the photo at 100%?, I am not sure how to do that).

Any questions, comments, suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers,

moimoi

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Nikon D3X Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Lol!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow