Started Dec 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,256Gear list
Like?
Re: NX5 vs NX10 viewfinder resolution
In reply to sevens, Dec 16, 2011

sevens wrote:

I use both.

The viewfinder is the NX5 is smaller and has a lower resolution.

The viewfinder in the NX10 looks somewhat more washed out, the blacks are very grey, especially compared to the AMOLED rear screen.

One advantage of the smaller NX5 viewfinder is that you do not need to press your face hard against the viewfinder to see the entire frame.

The rear LCD on the NX5 is a QVGA LCD instead of the VGA AMOLED on the NX10. The LCD on the NX5 is not as nice as the AMOLED, but the colours seem to be fairly close to what I see on a calibrated monitor.

In both cases the rear screen gives a better image than the viewfinder.

I think if you are very fussy about viewfinders you may want to check out both in person. Neither of them are state of the art. For me both are OK, I use them without hesitation; much better than not having a viewfinder at all.

I agree, try them out. I rarely use the viewfinder. I find mine in the NX11 doesn't always activate in brighter light when I press my eye up to it (I have eye glasses). A trick there is to slide your left thumb up under the eye cup to trick it to turn on, especially if you are bent over at a funny angle or something where you might not be able to press the camera up to your face as much.

I much prefer the quality of the LCD, but again, in bright sunlight or something where you can't see the LCD well, or if you want the added stability of supporting the camera by your face, it can be handy.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow