Started Dec 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pertgate01
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
What's best lens to learn photography
Dec 16, 2011

Hello, I am new to dpreview and also pretty new to photography. I bought some books by scott kelby and bryan peterson to learn photography and they have been great. I also just purchased a 60d body only and will need a good lens to learn photography. FOr my first lens purchase I am lucky enough to have about $800~900 to spend.

As of now I enjoy shooting at sunset and sunrise. I like how I am able to capture the stillness when the world is still asleep. As of now, I am split between the sigma 30mm f1.4, the 24-105 f/4 IS, and 24-70 f/2.8 L. With the L lens, I will not miss the wide end too much on a crop sensor because I have found myself primarily shooting in the 30~50mm range with my friend's lens. If I need a wide zoom, I would consider purchasing another lens later.

I do also enjoy shooting in low light (in the streets at night with no flash) and was wondering if the 24-70mm would suffice with its 2.8 aperture. I was also considering the sigma 30mm + 24-105L combo (the sigma for night and 24-105 during the day). I believe I have read somewhere that primes are good for learning the fundamentals of photography and was wondering if that was true. Are there any other lens you would suggest? I am trying to stick with lens that I will not outgrow too quickly. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Dan

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow