Started Dec 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan P1
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
Do you use "zoom focus?"
Dec 16, 2011

When focusing with any of my telephotos (17-55, 70-200, 100-400) and my 50D, I only use the center focusing spot. I zoom in, focus on the subject's eye (or, the most important point in a landscape), zoom out, recompose and shoot.

Do others focus this way? I'm now seriously looking at a 7D. With all its focusing options and technology, is this still the best way to focus? One reason I ask is because one of the photographers at my studio rarely zoom focuses. He just frames and shoots. To his credit, his images look very good when printed. So, I wonder if I'm putting to fine a point on the whole process? Should I just let the camera do its job and not worry about it? What's you focusing method?

BTW, I'm not interested in a discussion of cameras and "soft" focus. I'd like this to be a discussion of technique to achieve the best possible image.
--
http://www.dkpickphotography.com/

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow