Softbox VS Umbrella

Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
Stompie
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Softbox VS Umbrella
In reply to mystic-bright, Dec 16, 2011

Again, great advice guys. Some things i would never have considered. Like the color cast of the white umbrellas. I dont have the advantage of being able to actualy see what i would be buying or an example of it. I dont live in a buseling city where there is competition, but i dont live in a village either...lol

Here in NZ (as in many countries), the online markert is easier accessable than the physical market. I suppose this is where brand recognition and reliability play a big role.

There are some site here in NZ that offer a brand of umbrella for NZ$5,000 each!!!
Thats just a little out of my price range.......!

There are many online suppliers here that offer a middle of the road product, but not many reviews of them. I geuss ill have to assume that the supplier providing these products is true to their words when they promote their product.

I would love to be able to order the products available from BnH, and other Uk or US based online stores but the simple truth is that the postage for an item that is under 100 (of that countries currency) is just not cost effective.

So in the end trying to source a similar prodcut here in the little GodZone of New Zealand is really my most realistic option when it comes to time/cost/quality consideration.

I have noticed on the sites that i have browsed here in NZ that the most common largest size they seem to 40 inches. I havent seen many bigger that that. I have seen them on the oversees sites a little more.

Also, fortunately, i have seent embrellas with the removable black backing, and some that even have the reversable black/silver backing.

As it stands ill be looking to complete my introduction into off camera flash for portraites and family photography with an umbrella, Canon 580 EXII, Stand and wireless trigger.

again, thanks to all who have shared their advice and experiences.

Most appreciated. Please keep them coming as this will help others who search these forums.

Stompie's gear list:Stompie's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow