Started Dec 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,583Gear list
Like?
DXOMark compares the 55-250 II vs I
Dec 15, 2011

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/ (lens1) 449 (brand) Canon (camera1) 619 (lens2) 257 (brand2) Canon (camera2) 619

The transmission specs are surprising, its rare to see lens that do not have a difference between manufacturer F-stop spec and actual T-stop (what hits the sensor). In fact it is rare enough that it makes me wonder about their test, etc.

The I is sharper and better at telephoto ranges, the II performed better at wide (55). Their overall dxomark 'score' where the II received 2 more points is a very dumbed down and poor guide of performance IMO.

Wonder if people can actually see these differences yet because according to dxomark measurements, there should be a pretty noticeable difference in that the I is better telephoto, and II is better at wide. The transmission difference should also be enough to verify in real use with slight differences in exposure or metering, etc.

Also giving sampling variation I think the overall conclusion is that its pretty much the same except for cost cuts in producing a molded mount marker vs painted marker. Transmission or wide/telephoto performance should be confirmed, however if my I is better in telephoto performance I think I'd prefer that overall since at that point it competes with 2.8 standard zooms and 50 mm primes anyways.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow