Started Dec 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kirigoi
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
A few X100 portraits
Dec 15, 2011

I've been finding the photos posted on this forum very inspiring, and have given me plenty of ideas of how to use my little Fuji. I thought I'd see if I could contribute something back to make up for the many happy hours of browsing I've been doing.

I'm particularly really liking how portraits turn out using the X100. It's not a typical focal length I would have used, and not why I bought the camera, but the wideangle allows for some very intimate portraits. Portraits are only a small minority of the photos I've been taking, but I keep getting pleasantly surprised and mean to take a few more if I can. They have each been fairly impulsive photos, with only seconds of setup. It's also wonderfully discrete; for the second photo the subject did not even realise I'd taken a picture until I showed her the results.

These were all jpeg files from the camera, and have been resized in photoshop to save on my meagre bandwidth.

The first is SOOC. I tried playing with levels to see if I could improve it but was always disappointed with the results.

The second image has had a vignette effect added to distract from the fairly dull background, I've also used photoshop's diffuse glow to add a bit of a soft focus effect. Otherwise only minimal edits, and nothing to effect the colours.

The last image is hardly touched as well; just a small clone-stamp job to remove an objectionable cupboard handle on the right of the image (my kitchen is not very photogenic). And if anyone complains at me taking photos in my house like a perzon who posts frequently on these forums, at least the other two were out and about

Anyway, thanks for looking, criticism appreciated...

Kirigoi's gear list:Kirigoi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow