ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
angelautumn
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Beginner Questions on Nikon and lenses
Dec 14, 2011

Hello everyone,

I am a passionate about photography as an art and am looking to broaden my knowledge on the craft side of photography. I am currently using a Sony HX7 which I love but am obviously needing to upgrade to a DSLR to learn the craft. I was originally deciding betwen a Canon T3I and a Nikon D5100 and have chosen to go with a Nikon (the deciding factor for me choosing a Nikon was it felt much better in my hand for use over the Canon). I have tried out the Nikon D90 and D7000 but found both to be to heavy for my liking and the D7000 to be more advanced (for me) to start with as my first DSLR.

Can anyone give me some feedback on the Nikon D5100, is it a good beginner camera and is it something I can grow with?

The D5100 unlike the D90 and D7000 have no auto focus motor, is this something difficult to work with? I heard majority of new Nikon lenses have the auto focus built in so it isn's something to concern myself with, is this correct?

Does the kit lense have an auto focus in it? In addition to the kits lense I also want to get a 55-200 lense and was looking online and found the 'Nikon 18-200mm VR II IF-ED Lens (AF-S DX)' for $869.99 and the 'Nikon 55-200mm Compact Telephoto Zoom Lens With Vibration Reduction (AF-S DX VR)' for $259.98. What is the difference in these two lenses?
Thank you

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow