Started Dec 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,626
Like?
GH2 lens selection-input welcome
Dec 14, 2011

I'm enjoying my new GH2. It's a really user friendly camera with lots of features that I will use, such as Extended Teleconverter. I love the layout of burst lever, video button etc, similar to my fine FZ150.

The 14-42 kit lens is okay, I guess. I get JPEGs that are sharp enough but, so far, I can't get the vivid color that I prefer. I'm still trying various settings in vibrant etc. The relationship between contrast, saturation and sharpness is still not totally clear to me, so there's some trial and error going on. Fortunately, Panasonic limits the adjustment parameters so I can't screw things up too badly.

New lenses are next and I want to avoid the mistakes I made during a 6 month flirtation with a Sony DSLR. I tried several good long zoom lenses. They were very sharp with good color and IQ, but simply too heavy on the a55. The camera and all the lenses are sold now and I've chalked that up to experience. I've learned that weight and balance is very important to me, assuming a satisfactory IQ. I'm very pleased with the micro 4/3 format.

To the point, though, I plan to buy the Panasonic 45-175mm power zoom. The other lens I'm considering is the Pany 20mm F1.7. Is there something else in this price and weight range that I might consider? I'm sure there are some "better" lenses, but these are what I've budgeted for.

I value input from forum members, especially actual users! Thanks.

Jack

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow