Not much discussion about GX-1

Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
John Camp
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
Re: Not much discussion about GX-1
In reply to Myari, Dec 14, 2011

All this talk of NEX vs. GX1 makes little sense to me. The NEX competes with the Pentax K-5, and the APS-C Nikons and Canons, which have far better viewfinders and huge systems behind them, as the NEX does not. The ONLY similarity between the m4/3 and the NEX's is the body size -- everything else NEX is standard APS-C, including the size of the bag you have to carry around. Since you're already carrying a suitcase, what difference does it make if you add an extra pound for the body (and get a much better viewfinder and system in the trade?)

I carry my two-body m4/3 system in a briefcase, along with a MacAir and working papers, extra glasses, a novel, etc. I can carry a system with me when I'm traveling for work, and not for photography.

I think the threat from m4/3 is not the bigger-sensor systems like the NEX, but the somewhat smaller ones, like the new Nikon. You get all the resolution you can use for the web, and for prints up to 19" or so, and that system is potentially even smaller and handier than m4/3. And, if you need to, it can use standard F-mount glass (and autofocus with it.) It might look a little funny, but can you say 190-540mm (equiv) constant f2.8 zoom with autofocus in any other system?

I'm an m4/3 guy (for now), but I think the people who see NEX as a threat are looking in the wrong direction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow