ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
razvu
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Sony SAL1650 focusing problem
Dec 14, 2011

Hello all!
I purchased a SAL1650 that came in today.
My camera is a Sony A580. The lens is compatible with the camera.

After some testing I noticed some strange behavior: while in Focus check live, the focus motor goes back and forth and then in small steps until the object is in focus. This whole process takes 2-3 sec! If Focus live is off, focusing is almost instant.

My other Minolta lenses do not have this problem, focusing in live mode is fast, maybe a little slower than live view off, but definitely much faster than the Sony lens.

I will not talk about sharpness, yes it looked like really good picture quality, that's why I bought it, but this is totally unacceptable for a lens costing 700, especially when you read that the Sony live view focus is blazing fast!
It went back in the mail, for a replacement.

I also talked on the phone with Sony tech support and they did not have that lens in stock for testing, however they tested other two lenses and apparently they didn't have this problem.
If anybody else has the same lens and camera, can you please check this?

Steps to duplicate: camera in P (other modes were the same), press Focus check live view and try to focus on a few objects at different distances. Check if the focus motor goes back and forth (you will see the image getting blurred) and then you will hear it going in little steps until focus is achieved. This entire process takes 2-3 seconds. If you set Focus live view to off, focusing should be much, much faster, almost instant.

Sony suggested to replace the lens, this is what I am waiting for right now. They also asked me to let them know if this issue repeats, as there might be something they need to escalate to their engineers.
Thank you for looking into this!

Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow