Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,625Gear list
Like?
Strange days in the megapixel wars eh?
Dec 13, 2011

It came as something as a surprise when a fellow twitterer (or is that twit?) commented about Thom Hogan suggesting that future models from both Canon and Nikon would pump the pixels in the enthusiast space while keeping the pixel counts in their high end professional equipment relatively low. So I took and, if the rumour mill is anything to go by, it would appear this is going to happen (well, already has half happened in Canon's case). Thom has some fairly rational thoughts on why this is happening on his site (which I assume you all know).

So, the megapixel wars may well be over, at least in the professional space. To me, it sort of makes sense as I don't quite get the race to medium format pixel counts. A large print image from 36MP full frame format sensor is never going to match the tonality I've seen in big prints from a Hasselblad? Is it?

Relevance to Olympus? I guess they were right to call it at 12MP. They won, though it may be a bit of a hollow victory if they struggle to stay relevant in the camera market.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
n/tNew
yeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow