Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neimo
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Ten missing features and bugs in the X10
Dec 13, 2011

Before I post these in online reviews, I'm sharing them here in hopes that I'm wrong about some of them and folks can correct me.

Please note I'm keeping my X10 and like it for many reasons, but my Canon SD870 from three years ago doesn't have these issues and cost half as much. Details like these keep this good camera from being great.

1. In EXR Auto the Custom display setting is unavailable. Custom is the only display that has framing aids available like the histogram, grid lines, and electronic level. Other X10 users often recommend setting the camera dial to EXR and leave it. EXR has four choices; High Resolution, Low Light, Dynamic Range, and Auto. The last one is super simple because the camera chooses which of the three is appropriate. Yet that is where the Custom display is missing. So to get it back means manually switching between non-Auto settings. That can be a lot of switching if the light keeps fluctuating from sunny to cloudy, or when indoors with variable light.

2. The info on the screen includes a thick gray semi-transparent bar on the bottom that cannot be turned off, even though other elements like the ISO, histogram, and shutter speed can. It is so dark it interferes with composing shots in 4:3 or 1:1 aspect ratios. It should be removable or the transparency adjustable.

3. Image Stabilization at max zoom needs about 1/15th of a second to get a sharp shot. A Canon point and shoot from three years ago can get usably steady shots down to 1/8th about a third of the time. At that shutter the X10 consistently produces smeared shots. Steadier hands than mine will likely do better.

4. Shutter exposure range as advertised is seriously misleading. 30 second exposures are only available at ISO 100. At ISO 400 it's 8 seconds. At 800 it's 4 seconds and at 1600 it's 2. The camera I'm replacing does 15 second exposures at any ISO. I was looking forward to using the X10 with a gorillapod at night and taking high ISO shots for twenty or thirty seconds but that is not possible. (If you are going to take a long exposure, all the ISO and shutter combinations let in the same limited amount of light, but as usual ISO 100 has significantly less noise, better detail and color.)

5. ISO Bracketing uses the same shutter and aperture settings and takes three shots at different ISO so the exposure brightness varies. What would be more helpful in low light is keep the aperture set and adjust the shutter speed and ISO so exposures have the same light but now there are three opportunities for a sharp, not blurry photo. Then keep the sharpest one that has the most detail and hopefully low ISO.

6. After taking a photo it can be reviewed for 1.5 or 3 seconds. Or it will hold for 1.5 seconds then zoom all the way in to allow for checking the focus. It would help if pressing the Zoom Out button prevents the zoom in so users can first look at the overall image. There should also be a way to freeze the review image for longer than 3 seconds until half-pressing the shutter or Back button. While the Playback button does this it causes the screen to blink black for a quarter second which is distracting. It's one of those details other cameras handle seamlessly and make their experience smoother.

7. In review/Playback mode, portrait-oriented photos don't automatically rotate to fill the screen when holding the camera vertically so the image can match the screen. The pictures are displayed small and narrow in the middle of the screen with black vertical bars. Worse, when zooming in the black bars remain. That's right. As it zooms it doesn't use the whole screen, only the middle strip that a 4:3 portrait takes up. So a 16:9 or 3:2 image starts narrower and will zoom in to fill the space of the 4:3 but no further. There is a menu setting to playback portrait shots rotated ninety degrees but then they always are like that and require turning the camera vertically for them.

8. When selecting multiple photos to delete, each one must be tediously selected. There is no way to select only the first and last in a range of them such as 0022 through 0086. To quickly make space there is no way to select all photos taken on a certain date. Deleting individual shots requires three button presses - Delete, select OK (press Up), OK. There should be a setting for OK to be selected by default so the two button presses are Delete and OK so deleting goes 50% faster.

9. Fujifilm's included software doesn't import photos with the folder date of when they were taken and doesn't preserve the date and time of when they were shot in the filename.

10. Included software doesn't auto rotate images to match orientation. That means selecting all the vertical images by hand to rotate them.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow