For A77: Tamron 70-300 or Minolta "Big Beercan"...?

Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raven Falls
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
For A77: Tamron 70-300 or Minolta "Big Beercan"...?
Dec 13, 2011

I noticed a thread downstream about the Sony 70-300 and 70-400Gs in which the Tamron 70-300 also attracted some positive comments, so I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to compare the latter against the "Big Beercan" 75-300 from the Mind of Minolta?

I've got the BBC, and have been generally happy with it, but find that it's heavy enough to make the body/lens decidedly front-heavy, and thus difficult to position with my Manfrotto ball-head, with the angle usually dropping a degree or two after I tighten it down. I was wondering how the Tamron rated in terms of IQ, and if it was light enough to prevent the ball-head stability problems. (Or should I just put the money into a better ball-head instead?)

Raven Falls's gear list:Raven Falls's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow