The 'unbeatable' DP2x

Started Dec 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Nancy and Pete Spader
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050
Like?
Re: Pete, here my answer to your question
In reply to mrkr, Dec 12, 2011

Thank you for your answer to my question, Michael. It is often hard to know if you are understanding what the photographer is trying to do with a particular composition, and I am pleased to see I was not completely off track.

The ice crystals were an excellent element of the picture. I did not comment on them since I judged them to more part of the content than the composition, though that distinction is not as clear edged as I would like. Nancy noticed them immediately and approved of them. Given her experience taking pictures of flowers she knows how hard it is to find flowers with frost or ice crystals on them.

It is interesting the element I took to be a distraction was actually a key element you were deliberately including to help evoke the feeling you wanted to convey. Now that I know this I look at the picture with completely new eyes, so to speak. It now works very well indeed.

Which raises a question we used to debate in my class and is debated by photographs all the time. How much should you know about the intent of the creator of a work of art. Some people say you should not even include a title, since that biases your reaction and the perfect work of art should not need even a title for it to convey the creators intent. Others suggest the intent is irrelevant.

I think the intent is important and I think it is a matter of degree when you come to adding help to understand your intent as a crator. If the viewer needs to read a long essay before the work of art makes any sense, then the creator has failed, but some help to “position” the work is, I believe, legitimate, and a title often is all you need. Furthermore, you can never be sure you will convey your intent, or understand what you are looking at, no matter how careful you are as a creator or open-minded you are as a viewer.

Finally, I agree with you that the DP2 does an excellent job of giving you detail to work with. As I mentioned before, the ability to match the lens to the sensor that only having to deal with a single lens and focal length allowed Sigma to create a very effective way of “catching light.” Indeed, the DP series may be their best cameras in that regard.

Your pictures do a very good job of evoking what you want them to convey. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow