The X10 Is A Gem - You'd Better Believe It!

Started Dec 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rhombus
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
The X10 Is A Gem - You'd Better Believe It!
Dec 12, 2011

I'm sorry to see the X10 getting some bad press over a minor feature - the so-called white orbs.

I've checked all my many hundreds of shots and there's only one exhibiting this feature, and even that looks representative of the way I saw the scene, glare and all.

I buy many cameras, at least one every year and often two, and I can say unequivocally that the X10 has the most accurate standard colours I have yet encountered.

I am an inveterate fiddler in Photoshop and Lightroom and yet I find that more than 70% of my shots taken with this camera cannot be improved (I'm talking technical not artistic quality here!).

If the standard (Provia) colours are spot on in being true to life, the other colour settings are just as accurate in that they actually are like the film stock they purport to resemble. The Velvia setting isn't just a crude winding up of the saturation, it's a set of different hues among other things. Up to now the only accurate way I have come across to get anything like Velvia colours and contrast is via the Imagenomic RealGrain plugin for Photoshop, but the X10 nails it straight out of the camera.

It's a lovely camera to hold and to use. The results are superb. The EXR algorithms are uncanny. And it would be a great pity if people were put off this gem because a handful of users have made a disproportionate amount of noise over a 'fault' that is both rare and subjective. All I hope is that Fuji's software engineers don't compromise the existing quality while trying to fix a feature that is only troublesome in rare cases and then only to some people.

rhombus's gear list:rhombus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow