Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jgdp1000
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
X100 New User Musings
Dec 11, 2011

I've had my x100 for a few weeks now and I thought I'd add my 2 cents to the discussion. Here's where I net out.

1. First and foremost, it's a fantastic user experience as the camera is simply a pleasure to fondle, hold, carry, admire...very much like my Leica M7 or III. I believe this is a big part of enthusiasm one sees here at this forum. Fuji nailed it, as did Leica, but at a much more affordable and available price point. This user camera interface experience has been missing in the transition to digital. Making photographs should be a tactile and visceral and enjoyable and contemplative experience for the photographer or cinematographer and this camera is an excellent example of this philosophy. My 5D2, although a great professional tool, is in comparison to the x100, heavy and intimidating to subjects and a pain to lug around; it also makes great pictures.

2. The camera makes beautiful images...very photographic and imparts it's own personality to the picture, especially at F2 and high iso...very hip and creamy and textured look.

3. The camera is not set it and forget it. I won't go into details it's been stated and debated many times here but I'm making many pictures that are overexposed and soft focus due to my letting my guard down and not being cognizant of the myriad of settings if the camera isn't set to full auto. My fault. But still, a challenging camera...a photographers camera. I suspect this will improve with time. Actually, I'm enjoying the challenge.

4. The write speed is slower than the 5D when shooting RAW and one must make a mental adjustment. ....but how fast did one pull the trigger when using an analog camera, especially a Leica?

5. As stated many times before , the focus is anything but foolproof...it must be checked and thought about, same with the exposure...hey, just like an analog camera.

This is the conclusion I've come to about this camera; it's a fine tool and demands some skill and thought. Fun right? It's a reminder that the journey is as important as the destination. It's for people who are process oriented not purely results oriented. The camera asks the user to consider his craft, make choices, think about the image in front of him or her. On a personal note, it reminds me of my first camera that got me hooked on photography, my Argus C3.

Here are some of my first results...good bad and indifferent:

-- hide signature --

Joe Murray
Directors Guild Of America-Director
Int'l Cinematographers Guild -Director of Photography
http://www.nativesonsfilms.com
http://www.rhythm.com/commercials/live-action/

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow