Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,274Gear list
Like?
E-PM1 image quality samples/questions
Dec 11, 2011

I took my E-PM1 out for the first time yesterday morning and took along my E-620 for a quick IQ comparison. I was expecting the E-PM1 to show a clear improvement in JPEG quality based on what I've read, but so far have been left a little disappointed.

I'm seeing blown highlights (something my E-510 was prone to, and E-620 has cured) and muddy details in some of the E-PM1 photos compared to the E-620. Many of the photos were in partially overcast conditions with the background landscape in shadow, not ideal conditions, but my E-620 fared better.

I shot in "natural" mode, IS1 on and using the kit 14-42mm lenses with both cameras. I held the E-PM1 steady, but admit I'm not used to shooting without a VF. I've also heard the E-PM1 IS is not very effective, could be part of the muddy detail issue in the lower shutter speed images.

I've wondered about comparative quality between the kit lenses, as well as if I have a mediocre sample of the E-PM1 sensor/processor. Or I simply may be doing something wrong, any helpful advice appreciated.

Here's a link to 5 comparative scenes shot at the same settings with info provided for each image. .

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9407782835/albums/e-pm1-e-620-comparison

A quick sample, but go to the link for much better resolution:

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow