ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
How do you set AF on your D7000?
Dec 11, 2011

From what I read, AF is about the only thing that is repeatably listed as a concern by users of the D7000. I wonder if changing the default settings would make a noticeable difference in AF speed and repeatable accuracy.

Setting the D7000's menu as below essentially mimics the way I set up a D300. Limiting the focus points to 11 and using Dynamic 9-pt Mode resulted in noticeably faster and more repeatably accurate focusing when using single point mode with that camera. I wonder if the same is true for the D7000.

a1 AF-C priority selection: Focus (rather than "release")
a2 AF-S priority selection: Focus
a3 Focus tracking with lock-on : Short
a6 Number of focus points: 11 points (rather than 39)

c1 Shutter-release butt.: AE-L: ON (locks exposure with half press of shutter button)
f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L button: AF-ON (Focus & release to hold focus; works w/c1)
AF-S (hold AF settings button and turn rear dial)
AF-Area Modes: d9 (Dynamic 9-pt - hold AF settings button and turn rear dial)

Has anyone set up a D7000 similarly? Have you found certain settings which work especially well? I'm curious to know because AF performance would be the only thing keeping me from switching to the D7000.

Thank you for any responses, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you!!
--
Warren

Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow