GXR + Leica 75mm 'Lux (Carl's cam, take 2)

Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,443
Like?
GXR + Leica 75mm 'Lux (Carl's cam, take 2)
Dec 11, 2011

One objective of prying the GXR out of Carl's grasp was to see how well a fast lens would perform. I have a couple of those, and was using the Leica 75mm Summilux today, mostly trying f1.4. It was sunny here in upstate NY, and of course f1.4 is completely silly under those circumstances, but some of the results are ok I think. All handheld, base ISO, and whatever settings Carl has adopted as his own. Again, I bypassed 90% of what the camera can do, and just focussed on, well, the art focussing such a fast lens. There were plenty of failures when using the back screen, but Carl shrewdly bought the EVF, which helped quite a bit in bright sunlight.

Here are a couple of snaps again, all in the f1.4 to 1.8 range (I don't seem to get proper lens-related EXIF on the apertures used...might be buried in some menu I suppose)

Focussing on the front railing (success, more or less)

Taken at F2 as I recall - this one is tack sharp, every scratch on that glass is resolved

A bit soft (shallow DoF is all very nice, but it has to culminate somewhere in a sharp focal plane, which isn't really the case here)

This one is a bit better (shutter speed around 1/55)

Something artistic (very sharp focal plane, f1.4)

I've got a couple more lenses to test out, but I'm sure by now Carl will be annoyed with my unworthy efforts and will want his GXR back, with interest.

Thank you.
Thomas
=====================================
Images along the way: http://hahn.zenfolio.com/serendipity
=====================================

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow