Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OrdinarilyInordinate
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
Panasonic DMC FZ47 (FZ48)
Dec 11, 2011

I thought I'd ask here, as there don't seem to be a lot of FZ47/48 users around compared to some other P&S cameras available for similar prices.

I have recently purchased an FZ47 for $190 on a Black Friday sale, thinking it was my best choice for a $200 and under camera upgrade budget. I've had the camera for a week now, playing with macro and close up shots in poor light. When flash is used, the results are quite good. The reason for the low light is that my subjects are indoors and I cannot use bright lights (unless I want my subjects to hide!) Anyway, I'm fairly content with the "Close up" mode photos with a slight zoom and a flash. Color integrity, texture resolution, and contrast are pretty good (especially with help of a bit of post processing).

But! Am I using this camera for a wrong purpose? Is this meant to be a camera for flower shots in bright day light and videos of brightly lit sports games, and landscape shots? Should I have gone with one of those compact CMOS cameras (like Canon SX230) for my common dimly lit conditions? I thought for $190 this camera was quite a great deal given its high quality low distortion lens and rave color accuracy reviews.

I saw an excellent low light video on youtube shot with FZ47--super high focused sharpness and level of detail. When I move away from macro shots and start shooting videos, they come out horribly, as I cannot get help from the flash. I've tried various settings, and my movies come out extremely grainy and noisy. Is that where a CMOS fileter would truly be superior?

I'm stuck deciding if I should return this camera and get another, like Canon SX230 HS for that CMOS filter, engine, and processing software. It's also sold for $200. I don't know if I'd be throwing out a great camera (FZ47) and getting something inferior or if the two are mostly equivalent for my purposes, or if I'll be upgrading. There are really not enough comparisons and examples made with FZ47 to decide.

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 (Lumix DMC-FZ48)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow