Started Dec 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mbpautz7621
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
something I've noticed.......
Dec 10, 2011

I came to a realization the other day looking through my photos - Almost all my photos taken with zoom lenses are taken at the extreme ends. For example, my photos taken with the 16-35 - about 80% are at 16mm and 15% are at 35. I understand the convenience of a zoom, but I never thought about it like this.

Which led me to think I could ditch zooms entirely and go with a full set of primes at various focal lengths. I could get ultra large apertures and beautiful sharpness at any aperture. People are obsessed with gaps in focal lengths, but if you have enough primes, any meaningful gap could be closed with a few steps in the right direction. Maybe a 24mm, 50, 85, and 105 as a macro too. If I have enough left over, possibly a 35 in the middle. I guess I'm just scared of being in a situation where I simply can't cover a focal length with a prime, or not having enough time to do a lens change before missing a photo. and a fixed 24mm (although an amazing lens) seems constricting for landscapes.

To all you prime shooters, how did you get over this fear of ditching zooms? Has it ever caused a real problem before for you?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow