Started Dec 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonBarsinister
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Best compact camera with fast shutter?
Dec 9, 2011

My Canon SD870 has died after years of good service, and so it's time to replace it. I was happy with the image quality, but not happy with the delay between pressing the button and snapping my picture. Often by the time the picture was snapped I had lost the expression or moment I was trying to capture.

I don't know enough to really understand the implications of all of the technical details in the DP reviews, so I don't know which factors to look at to find a camera with equal or better IQ and faster picture taking. I don't care about how fast it can take continuous photos so much as I care about taking the photo I want when I press that button.

I usually don't use flash so maybe the low light slows down the shot, and I could have bought a faster memory card, but regardless, which camera should I be looking at?

So my requirements are: fits in a (big) pocket, image quality at the high end of point-and-shoot (as good as SD870) , fast button-to-picture (faster than SD870), between $300 and $400. I know I may be asking for a 2015 model with all of those requirements

I read good things about the Canon SD95, SD100. But are they any better than the SD870? I read confusing but promising things about the speed of the Fuji x10, the Pentax Q, and even - despite the warnings and complaints - the Nikon J1. But are these all too expensive and do they fit in a (big) pocket?

Thank you in advance for all of your knowledge, experience and suggestions.
This is a great site with a vibrant community!

Fujifilm X10 Nikon 1 J1 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow