Started Dec 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,348
Like?
In-Camera Editing (E-5) as a creative tool : PHOTO
Dec 9, 2011

Last summer my daughter and I participated in the yearly Photo Marathon organized by FNAC. The idea is to walk through the city and deliver two images per team at four download spots, roughly every two hours. Images must be JPG, straight OOC with no alterations and shot along the way, and must reflect a certain theme, that is announced at each new location. In-camera tricks and JPG conversions are allowed, but no PP on external devices like a laptop or Ipad.

This year, the marathon took place in Brussels and the themes were all movie-related : "A Love Story", "Horror", "Musical" and the bonus theme "Science Fiction".

(Having learned from last year's experience, we did not bother with the guideline that the mages should in some way visualize, or have a link with, the hosting city. We made use of locations and people that we found along the way, but concentrated more on exploration of a few concepts and did not refrain from staging shots.)

I thought this contest was an excellent opportunity to try out some of the Art Filters and other tricks that the E-5 has to offer. For maximum flexibility, I shot in RAW, and used the possibility to make different JPG conversions from the same RAW original.

Here is a gallery with some of our results : http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p254070976

What I want to show and explain here, is our most elaborate and creative effort. It earned us a nomination as one of five images in the final selection for the theme "Science Fiction" .

For this theme, we conceived a Special Effects photo that was supposed to give the impression of my daughter creating a force field around her (or being trapped in one). The background would have to be on the streets, to show that it was shot in Brussels, and that no studio tricks were used.

STEP (1) We started by searching for something that could be used as the force field and found it in a lighting store. I spotmetered on the lamp to make sure that all the rest surrounding it would be dark, so as not to show up to much in the overlay :

STEP (2) Then we made a photo of my daughter against a relatively neutral background but at a well known spot (the Albertina library), and on an elevation to match the lamp:

STEP (3) Then we superimposed the two images in-camera, looking for a suitable blend of exposures :

STEP (4) Finally we used the "Pinhole" Art Filter to complete the effect and look by enhancing the colours and contrast and darkening the edges (thus creating an impression of even more light in the center) :

Et voilà : with just the possibilities offered by the camera, we had used our creativity to create a special effects photo with spit and polish.

Do you have similar experiments to share??

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow