Started Dec 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DA photo
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Integrating the 5N into actual practice
Dec 9, 2011

This is my perspective upon the utility of the 5N. I have had the 5N for about a month and have made a few hundred pictures with it. I am a twenty three year Canon EOS and medium format user and have had more than ten EOS different bodies. I lost count. I had my own business and did weddings and worked for a paper. I have carried a bag that has weighed over thirty pounds as long as I can remember. What fascinated me about the 5N and current Sony design is what it foretells about the future of photography which I believe will continue toward miniaturization and mirroless bodies. i have been told by supposed experts that mirrorless technology is consumer oriented and that a professional needs big bodies to support big lenses which they think are essential for professional work. I do not believe this for a lot the work I did. I do believe I still have to use a big lens and big body for sports to get close at wider apertures and longer distances.

I am fascinated with the 5N. I am getting pictures that could have easily been used for a lot of the newspaper work I did. I could have done weddings in good light with it for most everything. What I could not have done with the current 5n and my kit lens is the low light pictures I can do with my 5D and 70-200 2.8L. I will shoot a large indoor swim meet this weekend and I wll use that combination to shoot action because of the dimmer lit areas of the pool and the resolution of the L lens. I will take the 5N and do the head shots on the deck. I will also try to stop a little swimming action with it where the light is good. I am surprised at the quality I get from the 5N.

Bottom line is that i am a believer in the advanced technology that the 5N represents and just as it is configured now I could have done a good bit of my former professional work with it. I am quite impressed with ISO 3200 with the 5N. I am not sure at this point how well I can shoot action with it and I await better f2.8 capable lenses for more resolute action pictures at high ISO at an appropriate longer length for the 5N. I think that will come and I think technology for these smaller cameras will only get smaller, faster and better.

It is a joy to walk out of the house with this little camera and get pictures of a really decent quality. I have the EVF and I think it essential in bright light. I think Sony with their entire camera line is leading the way into the future while certain conventional thinkers continue to defend Single Lens Reflex tecnology.. I believe the 5N will supplant a lot of what I do currently with my heavier grear and I will be a lot more inclined to take it with me.
--
DAphoto

DA photo's gear list:DA photo's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +10 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow