Microadjust your 7D's AF

Started Apr 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: Microadjust your 7D's AF
In reply to JackM, Dec 9, 2011

I upgraded from my T1i (500D) to my 7D about a year ago. I was most interested in the dual processors the 7D had and hoped to improve my in-focus shots. It worked, of course, but I still found some of my shots that should have been in focus were ever so slightly OOF.

I have been seeing talk of MFA in this forum since I bought the 7D and started reading the 7D postings, but never really tried it myself. I assumed the process would be difficult and did not know how I would resolve different settings for different focal lengths. But about 2 weeks ago I got tired of slightly OOF shots with some expensive lenses (Canon 100-400 and Canon 70-300 DO) and decided to try what I thought would be this useless and difficult task. What a surprise.

It took me only about 20 minutes to test all settings from -20 to +20 on each lens by focusing against an ISO 12233 chart that I found on the internet. I found that 100-400 needed a +6 (tested at 100, 150, 250, 300 and 400mm at about 12 ft) and the 70-300 needed a +5 (tested at 70, 100, 150, 200 and 300mm) at about 12 ft also). There was some variation, at the different focal lengths, but not much. I have not yet tested by Canon 15-85, but those images are usually razor sharp so perhaps there is no need.

After this I took the camera and 100-400 out of the house, saw a quail sitting on top of the neighbors house and took some shots. They were really, really sharp and I have been kicking myself for taking so long (and having so many OOF images from the past year) to get this done.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
So?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow