Flat view
mackitten
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
What Lens to 'ask for' for the holidays $600
Dec 8, 2011

The basics -

I was a lucky girl and my husband got me a 60D body for my birthday last month

I enjoy taking pictures of my cats (yes I know ive how some people feel about cat pictures Ive seen a few threads - please if you feel I should don't need nice equipment 'just' to take cat pictures - don't comment) Most of them indoors.

I also take a camera out to family events, birthday dinners, holidays and sometimes scenes or landscapes if I am out and have the camera and something strikes my eyes.

I have now
60D
50 mm f1.8
Tamron IF 28-300 f3.5-6.5
Speedlite 270ex

Have to say I use the 50 most of the time. I have been asked what I want for the holidays - I think the price range would be around $600 or so.

I find the 50 sometimes not wide enough, especially when I am at families places or restaurants where there isnt enough space to step back enough. I also like at times to take close ups or full frames of items such an an eye or a flower but cant always focus that close. I think I want something thats at least 2.8 even though Ill still probably benefit from the flash with indoor evening family events.

Not sure which way to go - do I get a wider zoom that can be like a walk around good for variety of things? or go for another prime

have been considering
Sigma 17-55 2.8
Sigma 30 1.4
Canon 35 f2
Canon 28 1.8

(also have on my list the 85 1.8 which i hear is very good but maybe for next summer)

Things I would love to consider but the cost is just too much for us at this time (especially considering I have much more practicing to grow and get better results)
canon 17-55
canon 24-70 L

Any advise to help me decide one way or the other, or a good lens in the price range I have not considered?

Thanks!
--
warning: I enjoy photographing my cats

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow