Started Dec 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
plaiditude
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
AF-S or AF-C when using AF-ON
Dec 8, 2011

I've been using AF-ON (the back button) to focus since getting my D7000 two months ago. Since then I've basically left it in AF-C mode and just hit the AE/AF button to focus when I want. Does anyone use AF-ON with AF-S? I did a family photo shoot using my 50mm 1.8D lens and was shocked at the low ratio of pictures that were in focus. Some of my problems stem from shooting too open as my 50mm is very soft at f/1.8-2.2, some of the indoor shots had motion blur because of the low light, where even at iso 3200 my shutter speeds were slow. But the ratio was bad even with outdoor well lit shots. Would it make a difference shooting AF-S if the subjects are not moving much? Is it just that my 50mm 1.8D is slower at focusing? I don't do much recomposing, I try to get a focus point over the eye or face. I've already deleted all the blurry pics from the shoot unfortunately so I have nothing to post. Just trying to figure out how to be more successful next time. I'm glad I way over shot (450+ pics), after I deleted all the blurry ones I was at about 100 shots, then cut that down to 40 good shots.

plaiditude's gear list:plaiditude's gear list
Nikon D3000 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +5 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow