What dream lens do you wish Canon would make?

Started Dec 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
biggles267
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
What dream lens do you wish Canon would make?
Dec 8, 2011

I thought this would be a fun little exercise - don't make too big a deal of it. I thought - if you could choose just one new lens that you wished Canon would make, what would it be? I'm assuming it would be a lens that you have really wished was available and that you could have. I don't want people to just be silly and say a 10-500 f/1.8, or something like that. Or something boring either, like to release a new version of some current lens, but just adding IS to it or making a slightly improved mark II version. People probably have varying degrees of knowledgability concerning how possible their dream lens is to engineer, so don't worry if people suggest something which you might know to be not really possible. Although they might appreciate hearing someone knowledgable tell them that the lens would be too heavy, or could not have good IQ by trying to do too much, etc.

If you want to just put your answer in the subject line, with n/t after it, that will be quick and simple. If you want to give a rationale in the message body, that's fine too.

I'll start by nominating my wish for a 15-60 f/2 IS EF-S lens. (Or if that is too hard to engineer, then maybe f/2.5 instead of f/2. Or maybe it could be 15-50 f/2 if it can't go to 60. Or it could be EF rather than EF-S. I don't really care if the specs were slightly adjusted like this. With my limited knowledge I thought EF-S might be more possible to make that spec for than EF, and there are many crop users like me who would be fine with EF-S. My reason for wanting this lens is that I really like the lens starting at 15mm, and I want the convenience of a zoom, and want something a bit faster than f/2.8. The current 17-55 f/2.8 and 15-85 lenses sound nice but aren't perfect for my dream lens. This lens would be good for wide angle, walk around, low light, and portraits so would be very versatile.)

So to reiterate, I would wish for a 15-60 f/2 IS EF-S lens.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I have been enjoying following this forum for quite a while now, and haven't seen anything like it. Looking forward to seeing what other people are wishing for...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow