overpriced short telephoto primes

Started Dec 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Robbie Corrigan
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: overpriced short telephoto primes
In reply to Sheld, Dec 7, 2011

Sheld wrote:

The pentax short telephoto primes are way over priced. The 77mm F/1.8 limited ought to be in the same price range as the Nikon 85mm F/1.8, or under $500 dollars. The Canon 85mm F/1.8 is even less expensive at $360, which I think would be a fair price for the 70mm F/2.4 lens. The 77mm F/1.8 is actually around $785, and the 70mm F/2.4 is around $530. These prices are high enough to hurt Pentax brand acceptance. Based on photozone, the 77mm limited is no better optically than the Nikon. For now, I'm sticking with the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 for portraits, which I bought second hand a few years ago for under $300 dollars.

Even the DA15 limited is a little over-priced, but then this is a unique Pentax only gem, with no equivalent in any of the other APS-C DSLR brands, so I purchased it, and I'm enjoying it.

Idiot... All you have to do is touch the FA77 and you see where the price comes from. If you measure a lens by the numbers then you will never get the Limiteds. Perhaps an article like this may help...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml

Robbie Corrigan's gear list:Robbie Corrigan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow