Started Dec 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ALHET
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
S3 to SX40 - How big a step up?
Dec 7, 2011

We've had an S3 for years now, and are thinking about stepping up to the SX40. We REALLY want sharper images, and better ISO capability. Not expecting DSLR specs - that's why we have a DSLR.

From all the posts here, and other reviews, it sounds like the SX40 would be a considerably image quality jump, but it is tough to know for sure, since none of the tests really compare the new SX40 with the 4 generation old S3.

So, for those who have had the S3 and are now with the SX40, would we notice a significant improvement in image quality, or only a slight improvement, and only in certain situations? The extra zoom range would be fun, but frankly, if the image quality were not better, we would live with the "mere" 420mm or so, of the S3. I've actually been quit surprised that, from the reviews at least, it sounds like this extra zoom ability hasn't hurt image quality much, if at all.

Also, I've seen a few complaints about shutter lag with the SX40. Meaning, from half press to full press, a delay in taking the picture. We have had several "prosumer" cameras, and the S3 is the least slow of our bunch, in this regard, with what seems to me to be almost no delay at all. So, is the SX40 slower in this lag time than the S3, or are people having problems because they are likely comparing them to a DSLR?

We appreciate the input. Thanks.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow