Started Dec 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
anodyne2
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
Sticking with the GXR APS-C cameras- after being gifted an X100
Dec 7, 2011

A friend of mine more or less gave me a Fuji X100 last month. It came with the flash, lens hood, extra battery. The Fuji is a very nice camera. The lens is great. Still image playback through the electronic viewfinder was the most pleasant surprise. It really is an interesting camera, however, I'm giving it up and picking up the wide angle module for my GXR once I recover from the holidays. -If I recover.

My reasoning:

I personally feel my Ricoh is the better handling camera. It feels better in my hands, the controls seem to be laid out in a way that reflects more thought. The Fuji may in fact function quite well, but truth be told, in my hands, it comes off rather gadgety and I find myself without the desire to put the time in to learn it well.

The 35mm equivalent focal length didn't seem to complement the 50mm i have on my GXR. The two are too close together. I can sort of work the 50 like a 35. I couldn't make the 35 work tighter like the 50 however. Much of the places I photograph seem to have a certain kind of clutter that is better left out of the image.

Anyway, the fuji left wanting to go a good deal wider if I went wide at all. 28mm is a focal length I grew up using on my dad's camera. I seem more able to deal with modern clutter if I can be more inclusive. The design of the GXR's 28mm lens should allow me to get in close and have some fun without much distortion in the images.

The Ricoh's software relative to my superficial understanding of the Fuji's seems more to my taste.

I have owned Fuji medium format film cameras and view camera lenses. I really thought they were all quite excellent. The X100 strikes me as excellent too, I just don't feel much urge to use it..... I wasn't expecting that. My assumption was I would enjoy the X100 as much as my GXR, but for different reasons.

With all that being said, I don't think the GXR compares well to other cameras in the sense that either you get what it is about or you don't. I would say the same for the Fuji.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow