Worra waste of time....

Started Dec 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
magnumgf
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: Worra waste of time....
In reply to Framerate, Dec 6, 2011

Framerate wrote:

Indeed so! - I'm grateful that i lived in happier times.

The other day I saw a clip from 'The World At War', dealing with the London blitz.

One particular night, 3,000 people were killed in a bombing raid. Three Thousand!! (and that was just in London, hundres more killed in other UK cities)

Yet, next day, people struggled on, much as before........with not a single telephone 'help-line' to assist them through the trauma.

It is absolutely inconceivable that the UK public could endure that today! - a effete society, obsessed with 'Clebrity', and in need of counselling if the milkman fails to delver two pints in the morning!

This phoot ban nonesense is just part of the infantilisation process that is being carried out upon us all.

I agree with you, the photo ban is a nonsense. So is the endless "security" and terror scares. Just a few decades ago millions died for freedom and liberty. Due to complacency, ignorance and fear much of this is now gone.

Since you mentioned the of the atrocities of WWII when 3000 people were killed in London, please do not forget that civilians in other countries suffered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II

In March 1945, the Nazi regime ordered its press to publish a death toll of 200,000 for the Dresden raids. Death toll estimates as high as 500,000 have been given.[6] An independent investigation commissioned by the city council in 2010 reported a maximum of 25,000 victims.[7]

Dresden was not the only city destroyed by the Allies. The bombing of the larger city of Hamburg in 1943 created one of the greatest firestorms raised by the RAF and USAAF,[8] killing roughly 50,000 civilians in Hamburg and practically destroying the entire city. The Allies also bombed the smaller city of Pforzheim in 1945, killing roughly 18,000 civilians,[9], suggesting that the bombing raids over Dresden were actually not the most severe of World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

The first raid using low-flying B-29s carrying incendiary bombs to drop on Tokyo was in February 1945 when 174 B-29s destroyed around one square mile (3 km²) of the city.[citation needed] Changing their tactics to expand the coverage and increase the damage, 335 B-29s took off[3] to raid on the night of 9–10 March, with 279 of them[3] dropping around 1,700 tons of bombs. Fourteen B-29s were lost.[3] Approximately 16 square miles (41 km2) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died in the resulting firestorm, more than the immediate deaths of either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki atomic bombs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow